September Noodle Journal

By Helene Lydia - October 04, 2016

Believe it or not, it's been a month since I arrived in Hong Kong. Time flies so fast!
After this first month, I started to settle down and adapt more to this 'new' surrounding. I know that the situation of Hong Kong is not much different from Indonesia if you're talking about the weather, food and stuff, but there are still many other things which can be considered as new for me: new bedroom, new roommate, new classmates, new habits and so on.

I started to have assignments and midterms schedules for my classes. Real university life has come! To be honest, it's quite challenging because I don't know the preferences of the lecturers, e.g. they prefer lengthy wordy answers or the short concise one. I hope I can give my best *finger-crossed*

The weather now also started to be nicer compared to the first 1-2 weeks I arrived in Hong Kong, but sometimes it could not be predicted. Yesterday I went for lunch by feet in the afternoon and it was very hot and bright. Then one hour later I walked home under the rain... My morale story would be: bring umbrella. I know I keep on typing this in most of my posts, but yeah, it's the fact 😂 It's my life-savior to protect me from sun and rain!

One month living in Hong Kong, there are quite lot of things I've done and eating is definitely on the list :9 One of menu that I eat the most (so far) is noodle. It is really easy to find restaurant selling noodle in Hong Kong in many different styles: Chinese (of course), Japanese, Vietnamese, Italian, you name it. Some of the noodle can be authentic, but some will have the twist of Chinese touch 🏮

In this post I will list the noodle dishes that I've ate here. I will give my personal thoughts but no rating because everything taste good for me 😂 Hope you guys enjoy and droll over the pictures!🍜



Viet's Choice - 特别牛河 Special Beef Noodle ($50)
From the restaurant name, can you guess what noodle is it? Yep, it's Vietnam noodle, pho. It was my very first noodle in Hong Kong. I ordered the Special Beef Noodle. It supposed to come with 3 types of meat: something like ham (processed meat), brown cooked meat and red shabu-shabu (?) meat. However when it was served, I saw no red shabu-shabu meat.
I like it! The soup was fragrant, the noodle was OK, and I love the beansprout that they give inside the noodle soup. Wish they gave more beansprout tho😛


味千拉麵 (Ajisen Ramen) - Ajisen Ramen ($53)
I ate this with my Kazakstan friend who was a loyal fan of Ajisen Ramen. We ordered the Ajisen Ramen (their signature ramen I believe) which come with 2/3 slices of pork, half soft-boiled egg, mushroom-kinda thingy and beansprout. It was really good! The pork broth was delicious. I bet it's because of those sparkling oil on the soup :p


谭仔三哥 (Dam Zai Sam Gor) - Pork Noodle Soup ($32)
I was told that this brand of noodle is famous among students because of the affordable price. I ate at their branch in the food court of a mall called Festival Walk. For $32, I could have the non-spicy basic soup and a choice of topping (I chose pork). If you want to get the spicy soup, you need to add more dollar (I guess about $1 or $2). It was a good noodle soup with a very big portion. I couldn't finished the noodle and just ate the beansprout because I felt uneasy to waste the food :(
If you're going to eat it, I recommend you to get the minced pork as the topping. My friend ordered the minced pork and I like it!

复兴鱼蛋王 (Fook Hing Fishball King) - 双丸粉面 Fish and Beef Noodle Soup ($27)
There was a small food stall in Lok Fu market selling noodles in many variants. As a big fan of something chewy, I'm longing to have fishball noodle. I entered the restaurant, asked for seat for one, and started to read the menu. I was literally lost in translation... Too much menu offered and all in traditional Chinese characters. I know it will take forever for me to translate them one by one. So I decided to look around for menu with pictures and appointed the fishball and meatball noodle picture on the wall😂
I was excited to eat the fishball, but it turned out that the meatball taste better! Yay! It was a very simple noodle soup, but I definitely will come back again. Need to learn the menu first, tho.


品香樓中西風味餐廳 - 非洲肠仔鸡扒意面 ($37)
Don't mad at me about the name of the place and the menu! Haha! If you copy-paste the restaurant name in google, the Cantonese pronunciation of the place is: Ban Heung Lau. It was a Hong Kong style tea house (餐廳) that my friends and I visited after Sunday mass. We met a new friend from HK CityU in English gathering at church and he took us for lunch in this place afterward.
The place got daily lunch menu priced at $37 and you can have drink by adding $2-6 depending on your choice. I chose spaghetti menu, but it was not cooked in the way spaghetti should be cooked. There were a fried chicken breast on the top of the spaghetti, poured with kind of steak sauce and vegetable, and decorated with one sausage. New way to eat spaghetti!


華星冰室 (Capital Cafe) - 叉烧意面 Roasted Pork Spaghetti
Another way to eat spaghetti: eat it with soup and roasted pork. It's actually a part of set meal that I ordered. I paid for $38 and got this spaghetti soup, scrambled egg (must try!), buttered-toast and a cup of milk tea. I love the pork and the soup, but I couldn't finish it as I was too full due to the egg and the toast. I couldn't find the ala-carte price of this the spaghetti soup, but they got the macaroni one which is priced at $26.


一蘭 (Ichiran) - 叉烧拉面 Tonkotsu Ramen ($86 + 10% tax)
My friend and I went to Ichiran branch in Causeway Bay. I was very surprised, because they got two exactly same branches on the same street, only separated by 2 or 3 buildings. Surprisingly, in both branches, many people were queueing. The queue started from outside and continued inside. W-O-W.
Another wow, they only sell one type of menu: Tonkotsu Ramen or the pork ramen. However, you'll be given a piece of paper where you can customize the noodle to your liking (flavor strength, oiliness, type of noodle).
I was wondering how delicious was it that people are willing to join the long queue, until I realized  that I've finished my bowl of ramen without any leftover. I drank all the soup. My bowl was empty. The taste was excellent!😋 I think it's quite pricey (almost 170 thousand rupiah) for a bowl of ramen with only 2 slices of pork. Definitely not something to eat at the end of the month💸💸


茶木 (Tea Wood) - 红烧牛肉面 Beef Brisket Noodle ($72 + 10% tax)
My friend took me to this Taiwanese cafe in Tsim Sha Tsui branch and I directly pick the beef noodle. I've been to Taiwan and I know they have a really good beef brisket noodle. There were two choices, the original and the spicy version. Of course I chose the original one because I don't eat spicy. Easy choice.
The portion was huge, it came with flat noodle, beef, two chunks of carrot, radish and lots of spring onion. It was really tasty, I was gonna cry! And I literally cried during my dinner, because the soup turned out to be too spicy for my appetite. But it was really yummy! I kept on eat the noodles and the beef and drink the soup and cry 😂😂


丸亀製麵 (Marugame Seimen) - 咖喱牛肉乌冬 Beef Curry Udon ($42)
I really love to eat Marugame's beef curry udon in my city and I was soooo happy when I found this restaurant in Lok Fu. A taste of home! It's fun to try something new, but it's always nice to have something that we used to eat :3
The ordering system in HK was similar with the one in my city, choose your menu, they prepare it for you, pick your side-dish (tempura) and pay it. For the udon, they added some carrot and potato in the curry sauce, which I think was really nice (because usually that's the component of Japanese curry). For the taste, we can always trust Japanese brand quality.


豚王 (Butao Ramen) - 黑王拉面 Black King Ramen ($95)
Another pricy Japanese ramen that I ate in Causeway Bay. If you see the Chinese character of the restaurant name, they got 王 which means king. So they named the menu by adding word 'king'. They got red king (spicy red soup), green king (with olive oil and basil), limited king (their seasonal limited menu) and black king. I ordered the black king which has black colored soup. It came with a 'black ball' on the top which is composed of squid ink, black garlic and minced pork. The texture was like cookie crumble, but with squid flavor. I enjoyed the unique taste of this black squid ramen. The black ball taste was quite fishy, but you'll always try to eat more to get to know the taste.
After they served my noodle, they gave me a very big paper napkin to cover my clothes. I think it's a really thoughtful idea to prevent the oil's splash. Overall, it was an unique ramen with unique way to eat.
A self-portrait won't hurt you!



I actually got some other noodles which I don't include in this post because it will be too long if I write everything here. Moreover, their taste or price were not as memorable as the one that I list here.
I guess that's all about my noodle journey so far!
Feel free to write me a comment for me if you have any other noodles recommendation that I can eat here. You can also recommend me to what another specific type of food that I should write on my next food journal. I've got one in my mind, tho 😉

Thank you for reading! See you on my next post! xx

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. This is really nice to Seen the content of this Blog. I really appreciate this Blog to has such a kind of great knowledge for me.
    bbq supplier singapore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good.
    Shabu Shabu Meat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really I feel happy to see this useful blog, Thanks for sharing such a nice blog.
    BBQ Supplier Singapore

    ReplyDelete