Pursuit of True Self

By Helene Lydia - July 06, 2018

Do you ever feel that you no longer fully know someone you think you know very well before?
Like the 'current you' is not the same person as '2-3 years ago you'?
Searching for lyfe. 404 Error not found🙃
It is said that actually people never change. We just on the pursuit of our true self and gradually become more of who we really are. Over the time, all the circumstances, problems, and experiences that we encounter every day will inevitably unveil our self and personality. Perhaps we can never fully know someone or ourself like what we thought before, because people always in a never ending journey called continuous self discovery

During my early years of high school, no matter how many times I took the personality test, I always get the sanguine as my personality: extroverted, lively, optimistic, buoyant, carefree with high risk tolerance. At that moment, I think I suit that personality traits very well. I was very outspoken, decisive and eager to explore new things.

As I move on to university level, I think my style shifted bit by bit. I decided to be more laid back, not too aggressive and play safe. I notice that all the explanation of phlegmatic was now more relatable to me compared to sanguine's. Nodding my head while reading phlegmatic personality traits was so easy: I am looking for modesty and peace, trying to be excluded from any debate or confrontation, and enjoy things on my pace. Several takes on personality test confirmed that phlegmatic was my 'latest' personality (up until recently).

Sometimes the shifting in our personality will result with people complaining, such as 'you were not like this before', 'I like the old you better', and 'you've changed!'. Or even we can be the one who question our own condition and feel bad for not showing the characteristics that we used to express before. The pressure given from inside and outside somehow limit us to explore the new self that slowly emerge, and close the opportunity for us to discover the new strength and uniqueness that probably we never knew we had before. Such a waste, right?

Therefore, I decided to challenge myself. I want myself to embrace the changes within me, learn to know myself better from time to time, and accommodate my strength and weakness. Sure it is very tempting to focus only on my strength, but my weakness also needs to be addressed properly to turn it into my uniqueness. Both strength and the elevated-weakness should fill in each other's gap and help me to get by with my daily interactions, to better positioning myself within the society.

The process is neither gonna be as easy as or as fast as as typing down this post (while actually it took me half a month to curate the right words to develop this 3-minutes reading post!). However, finger crossed I will make it come true!

By the way, in case you are wondering why do I suddenly mumbling about personality and self discovery, it's because I recently took a personality test from 16personalities.com and somehow... the result description describes myself better than I can do hahaha. Yet reading the description was really fun and I think it's a good start to know my personality. I will re-took it again and let's see how my personality will be in the next 6 months.

That's all for this post. Hope you enjoy it along with my new blog template!♥️♥️ See you on the next one! xx

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. As the ancient quote says " nothing is constant but change", life will always lead us to various, different scenarios and 'force' us to discover ourselves deeper. And along with Darwin's theory about natural selection, there will be traits that are favorable and some which are not. The favorable ones will be preserved.

    But, I think everyone will have some 'ideal figure' about what he/she wanted to be. Do not let the anything suppress it for you (if it not a bad thing and align with your will). Do not let fear of rejection bury the uniqueness in you.

    Take your time,walk your journey and maybe you will discover the 17th personality.

    ReplyDelete