Self Reflection: Be You

By Helene Lydia - November 03, 2016

I thought it was only yesterday when I wave my hands to my parents and friends who send me to the airport for my flight to Hong Kong. However, it is not. It's been 2 months since the day I landed in Hong Kong for the first time after 6 years, met hundreds new people from many different parts of the world and slept in a shared bedroom with my lovely roommate. Believe it or not, my time to study in Hong Kong is now less than 2 months. How time flies.

As it's my first time studying abroad, everything in Hong Kong truly excites me. Places to be explored, unique foods to be tasted, cultures to be encountered. So many things that I want to do and experience while I'm in Hong Kong. Yet, I came to Hong Kong by myself from my home country. No friend from the same school, no friend who speak my mother language, no friend who share the same culture. It's a total lie if I said I never feel sad to have no friend coming together with me from my home-university.

However, here I meet many groups of awesome people. I got to meet and know them and engaged with them in different activities. They always have list of incredible activities to be done during the daylight or after the midnight. Everything I've never done before. Everything new, attractive and beyond my comfort zone. Whole new experience! I want to do it all!

Do I?

I keep on asking myself whether I really want to do all those 'new', 'attractive', 'beyond my comfort zone' activities. It's really exciting, indeed. However, I realized that, those activities that I never go through, actually are not beyond my comfort zone. I just never include them in my zone because its not my thing. It might be something common, usual, and routines for some people, but not for me. If you asked why, of course it's due to the different culture, different background, and different value manifested in every different person. And if you said that I need to open my mind and try something new, I prefer to hold on to my own value.

In every stage of life, we will meet many different types of people. When you're entering university, studying abroad, when you're starting your working life, and many more. Some might support your value and some might not. For me, be friends with those who truly support your value. It's not about being picky and limiting your circle. It's about being wise and know who can support you and help you to be the best of yourself. Still, it doesn't mean that you should avoid the opposite parties. Be nice to everyone. Greet each other. Respect everyone's beliefs. But don't let them define your value.

Though, if there's no one standing on the same value as yours, remember that you can always do things by your own self. As I believe, being independent doesn't mean you're alone, and being in a group doesn't always mean you're not feeling lonely.

Just keep being you, guys. xx

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments