Perks of Being A Student in HK

By Helene Lydia - November 25, 2016

If you're going to study abroad for full-time study or just for an exchange program, perhaps convenience for students in that country would be one of the factors that you take into consideration in choosing your destination university or country. In my opinion, convenience for students is necessary to support student's daily activities, whether for studying purpose or for leisure. Today I'll be sharing with you the 3 benefits of being student in Hong Kong that I experienced here (which I thought are AWESOME!).

1. MTR Student Travel Scheme
With many things to do and explore in new place, transportation is indeed very important for us. It's a relief that Hong Kong has an efficient and frequent public transport systems with the MTR. There's also a convenient payment method with the Octopus Card (read it here if you don't know what Octopus Card is). When you think that things couldn't get any better, your student status give you another surprise: special price for student!
MTR fare from my campus' station to Disneyland, student fare is almost 50% less than adult fare
If your Hong Kong school or uni is participating in the MTR Student Travel Scheme, you can apply for a Personalised Octopus with "Student Status". This student status will allow you to travel with discounted price compared to the usual adult price. Whoot!

2. Student Notebook Ownership
As the price of electronic devices in Indonesia are pricier compared to the other countries, I was postponing my plan to buy laptop until I arrived in Hong Kong. Not only the retail price is cheaper, but Apple HK has the educational pricing which is not available in Indonesia (so it is way cheaper). However, it turned out that some universities (including my university) in HK has Student Notebook Ownership program that charges you with even lower price compared to Apple's educational pricing! Such a good welcome gift!😳
Offering Apple and Lenovo
Not only you get your laptop in cheaper price, but they also give you free stuff: printer, screen protector, one laptop accessories, laptop bag, free internet security subscription and coupon for next purchase. If you're purchasing a Mac, they also offer a free workshop to allow you familiarize with your new Mac. In my opinion, This kind of program shows how the university really support the students by helping them to get 'more affordable' laptop.

3. Student Special Price
Many stores in Hong Kong, especially restaurants, offer special promotions for students. Just show your student ID and voila! You got the special promotion! So far, I've used this privilege to play ice skating with my brother with the buy 1 get 1 promotion, enjoy my lunch with student price in Yoshinoya, pay $10 less for my llaollao yoghurt and sip my cup of Starbucks coffee with 30% discount (only for HKBU's student😝).


My fave sauce: cookie dough🍪
Yoshinoya HK got some cheesy menu!
I believe after you read this post, you will add Hong Kong in your list of country for studying destination😜 Just remember that special promotions and discounted price for students should not be the single indicator that we use in choosing university alright😂
That's all for now and I'll see you in my next post! xx❣️

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments