EGG WAFFLE PARADISE

By Helene Lydia - December 01, 2016

I'm a big fan of something crispy and chewy. I love the crispy potato chips and the chewy mochi. However, when I'm craving for something crispy and chewy at the same time, it will be too much for me to eat the potato chips and mochi together. Then, what should I do?

The answer is: go for EGG WAFFLE!

Hong Kong people call this gai daan jai in Cantonese, while the English translation has many fancy variants: egg waffle, eggette, egg puff, bubble waffle and so on. No matter how you call this little friend, egg waffle is a Hong Kong street snack that you should not miss. With the crispy exterior and fluffy interior, fragrant buttery smell and the bite-size serving, how could you resist the temptation not to crack one little bubble and devour it? OMG my love to egg waffle is indescribable 💕

In this post, I will share with you the findings of my quest for egg waffle in Hong Kong. I will list the 5 egg waffle shops from the one that tastes OK for me to the one that delights me in all way. Prepare your tissue as you will droll as you read this post!💦

5. 恆發雞蛋仔 - Kowloon City
This was the first egg waffle brand that I tried in HK as it was the closest egg waffle shop from my university (actually it still a 25 minutes walk hahaha). I've tried their cheese filling ($21) and chocolate filling ($20).
For the cheese filling, they let 2 slices of sliced cheese melt inside the batter when it was being cooked. When they hand us the egg waffle, we can see the yellow color of the cheese that looks very yum and tempting. However, when I eat it, it just tastes like original egg waffle. No cheese flavor at all.
The chocolate filling works better for me. They will put 1-2 chocochips inside every 'bubble'. Thus, you can expect to taste the chocolate flavor in your every bite.
As a cheese enthusiast, I'm so sad that I have to say I prefer their chocolate filling more compared to the cheese :( However, they cook the egg waffle to the perfection. Their batter is really nice and it was cooked crispy outside and fluffy inside. If you are looking for a basic egg waffle with a hint of basic filling, this brand of egg waffle could be your choice😉

4. Ice Puff - Tin Hau
With the name of 'Ice Puff', this store offers you ice cream and egg puff (egg waffle). However, it doesn't mean you need to enjoy them separately, because they let you enjoy the warm egg waffle with the cold ice cream together. YUM! 
However, I went to their store in a windy and cold day with freezing hands. I need something warm to hold, so I opt for their egg waffle as I can't risk my hand to hold the cold ice cream cup. The store has some variants of fancy filling such as cheddar cheese, nutella, ovomaltine, 70% Belgium dark chocolate and black sesame. I ordered the dark chocolate one ($25).
The egg waffle was 'too crunchy' for me. I love crunchy and crispy egg waffle, but overdo it will make the inside becomes too dry. In fact, my egg waffle was broken into two when it was served to me. I believe it was because of the exterior was too crunchy. Maybe in my next visit I should try the egg waffle with the ice cream, perhaps the ice cream will make the egg waffle more flabby. The dark chocolate filling was really good and generous. I rarely find any egg waffle stall use dark chocolate as their filling and now I know where should I go for a 'healthier' choice of egg waffle😛
If you're going to Ice Puff, my advice is don't go there too early because their store only open after 1:30 PM (I think their operating hours is really late).

3. Mammy Pancake - Causeway Bay
To be honest, the first thing that attracted me to buy the egg waffle from this store was their packaging. If usually egg waffle store only use brown or white paper bag, Mammy Pancake uses a special design of paper bag. The packaging looks like the packaging of milk-tea drink in Hong Kong. It's so creative!
Even though you're not buying the milk tea flavor, you can still get the cute packaging😬 I went there twice and taste the green tea egg waffle with chocolate filling (left picture - $25) and of course their Hong Kong milk tea style filling (right picture - $25).
The green tea batter with chocolate filling was awesome! I'll rate it 9/10! The green tea batter was quite bitter, but the chocolate chip filling was sweet. Every little bubble that you chew give you a perfect balance of taste and let you appreciate the bittersweet of life🙄😝 
While the green tea-chocolate egg waffle scored 9/10, I will only score the milk tea egg waffle with 5 or 6 out of 10. The batter still taste good with the perfect crispiness outside and fluffiness inside, but the taste of milk tea that supposed to be the highlight of the egg waffle was not there. I only could taste it slightly. It was sad though as they already had the very cute packaging! 

2. Modos - Prince Edward
My late night walk on Sunday after starring at my laptop screen for hours lead me to Prince Edward station Exit B2. Just with several minutes walk, I arrived in front of this egg waffle store. After a quick skimming over their menu, wow, they have mind-blowing fillings flavors! Taiwanese pineapple cake, orange chocolate, Russian borscht, lava honey, spicy meat-floss, earl grey and red cheddar cheese!
It was hard for me to make decision because everything looks good and I never try egg waffle with those combinations. Considering there were people queueing behind me, I made up my mind quickly and ordered the red cheddar cheese egg waffle ($25).
The color of the egg waffle was slightly more orange than the usual egg waffle (I guess it was due to the red cheese). It also had the unique appearance with the convex side of the egg waffle was smooth as usual, while the concave side is bumpy with cheese burnt. After the first bite, I knew I made the right decision. The red cheddar cheese egg waffle was really good! It was a real cheese! The drawback might be it was soggy rather than crispy. Usually, I will pick the bubble one by one with my finger, but this time, as I don't want to make my fingers greasy, I bite it directly😳
Yet, I will still come back to this store to taste the other flavors. I'm really interested with the Taiwanese pineapple cake🍍

1. Oddies Gelateria - Central
Welcome to my number 1 choice of egg waffle! Say hello to Oddies! You might have heard this brand before as it is quite famous as one of the best egg waffle in Hong Kong. I have to admit that, yes, it was the best (in my opinion). 
Oddies serves various flavors of gelato and unexpected flavors of eggettes: brownie chocolate chip, dan dan noodle (wow), Chinese sausage (WOW), pineapple pastry, ham and cheese, vanilla rice pudding and red velvet. I couldn't resist ice cream and also egg waffle. So when I heard that Oddies serves ice cream and egg waffle together, I'm making my way there!
I tried their night wolf (1st picture - $60) and chuckies (2nd picture - $65). FYI, I went there with my friend. So, if you think I ate 2 portions, the answer is no😂
What's inside night wolf from bottom to top: scoop of gelato-of-the-day, crunchy flakes, butter crumb, passion fruit panna cotta, Italian low fat twist soft gelato and brownie chocolate chip eggette 
What's inside chuckies from bottom to top: jasmine panna cotta, buttery pie crust, low fat mixed berry, Italian low fat milk gelato, chestnut spread and cream cheese eggette
While I'm typing this, I realized how much sugar I consumed in that one night hahaha. But it was worth it!!! My favorite part was the cream cheese egg waffle. Every bubble was filled with soft cream cheese. The saltiness blends well with the sweetness of the other components. The jasmine panna cotta also gives a kick in your mouth as it tastes exactly like jasmine tea, bitter.
This is not something that you could enjoy too often considering the amount of sugar and calories in that one cup of greatness. However, if you have a sweet tooth and your personal trainer doesn't have your Snapchat or Instagram (because I'm sure you will post this instagenic baby!👻), make sure to pay a visit there at least once during your visit to Hong Kong😉

Those are the 5 egg waffles store that I could share with you! Just remember, if you're looking for the original egg waffle, the random street-food stall on the street may also serve you the cheap and humble warm egg waffle😉 Price may ranges from $8 - $15 (depends on your skill to find the cheap one!).
Comment down bellow if you have recommendations for other egg waffle or just simply tell me which one is your fave! Hope you enjoy the reading as I enjoy typing this post☺️ See you on my next post! xx

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments