One Day in Singapore: Singapore's National Day

By Helene Lydia - February 06, 2018

Singapore has always been one of my all time favourite destinations whenever I need a short escape. It's only 2 hours away from my city and I can directly explore every direction by taking the super convenient MRT straight from the Changi Airport. I always love countries with well developed infrastructure!

Last year I went for a quick visit to Singapore to feel the positive energy of Singapore's National Day on August 9th with my mum, my aunt and my sist. We went to see the National Day Parade at the Marina Bay, but we came quite late that we couldn't secure high place to enjoy the show. Finally, we were able to sit near The Esplanade and watch the parade. The parade consisted of Singaporean forces showcasing their skills: parachutes, fly the chopper high and low, ride the jet-ski, and all the actions that you might see in movies. Everyone is training hard and very well prepared for sure. Thumbs up for the Singaporean forces!
Aside from watching the National Day Parade, we explored some places that we never visit previously. We went to Chijmes, a historic building complex with lovely gothic architecture. The classic ambiance brought by the gothic architecture combined perfectly with the simple white paint. In the building complex, there were also some cafes with cute setting. My favorite was the cafe which provide beanbags to chill out!
We also pay a quick visit to the National Gallery Singapore in St Andrew's Road. I wanted to take picture at the picturesque entrance stairs with the big grey pillar. However, since the building was so huge and it has several entrances from many directions, I couldn't find the correct entrance... For sure I need to come back again for that intsagenic pillar to tick my to-do-list.

During our visit to the National Gallery Singapore, there was an exhibition by Yayoi Kusama, one of the world's most influential artists from Japan. Many people are queuing to go inside the exhibition to enjoy her creative creation which was dominated with yellow dots. We didn't go into the exhibition, but we still able to feel the artsy ambience since the spaces outside the exhibition hall also decorated with the iconic dots decoration.
Last but not least, coming to Singapore would not be complete without gaining 1-2 kgs of happy fat :)

It's a must for me to have Llao-llao yoghurt with the cookie dough sauce, but unfortunately llao-llao is now closed and replaced by another brand called Yole. I might need to try it once I step my feet in Singapore again soon.

The iconic ice cream sold by the uncles in Orchard road is another mandatory pit-stop to beat Singapore's heat. Since the price was S$1 until now it is around S$2, I always find my feet walking towards the motorized cart and treat myself a durian ice-cream bread.

This time I also tried this smoothies and juices brand called BOOST due to the influence of my English teacher. Whenever she goes to Singapore, she always shows her cup of BOOST juices on her Instastories. I directly know that I couldn't miss it, right? So when I saw their shop in ION Orchard B4 level, I ordered their All Berry Bag juice and fall in love in the first sip. Super refreshing!


Singapore has an unique charm that always attracts me to come back again. It seems like whenever I left Singapore, I still have places to explore and unique food to try left in my bucket that need to be ticked soon

What about you? Where is your to-go-destination? Comment down below!💕

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments