Best Desserts in Singapore

By Helene Lydia - April 11, 2020

I hope everyone is doing well in the midst of this coronavirus outbreak! We all know this Covid-19 has been a nightmare for everyone in the world. Here in Indonesia we are also encouraged to practice social-distancing, stay at home as much as possible and limit non-essential outside activities to combat the spread of coronavirus. I have been working and exercising at home for 4 weeks (and still foresee to continue). During this stay home period, weekly groceries-shopping is truly a luxury that I anticipate the most!

With so much unknown and uncertainty about this virus, plus the fact that we can catch and spread it anywhere and to anyone, multiplied with the absence of a vaccine, I think it's wise to just #stayhome. Stay home not only to not getting the virus ourselves, but also not spreading it to others especially those who are more vulnerable. Really hope that the situation can recover ASAP and hope you guys stay safe and comfort in your nest with your beloved ones!

Chilling out in my nest
One of the lessons I learned from this sudden outbreak is to never procrastinate everything... including your holiday plan lol. Since last year, I have been delaying any holiday plan as I wanted to fully focus on my new role at work. I was so ready to picture myself wrapped in winter coat in Seoul in January or mesmerized by the sakura flowers in Tokyo in April this year...  but surprise, surprise! Abort any kind of imagination and just stay home girl! 😂  Still grateful tho, I haven't book any flight or hotel so I can skip the hustle to do the rescheduling or ticket refund. If you have to go through all the ticketing administratives, I really wish you the best outcome you can get.

Anyway, as we can't do travelling anytime soon, let's just reminisce the good old time of past vacations, shall we? Last year, I went for a short weekend trip to Singapore. Over the weekend, I managed to cure my longing of my comfort foods in Singapore and also explore some new additions! In this post, I'm listing down my version of best desserts in Singapore that I know I will revisit again whenever I am in the lion city.

Tell me, have you ever tried any of these?


llao llao
llao llao Singapore was closed in 2017 and 'replaced' by another brand. Even though the yoghurt, toppings and size selection offered from the new froyo brand is almost similar to llao llao's, I was not really excited to try the new one. I guess you can call me a loyal customer for llao llao's brand lol.

When llao llao came back to Singapore in 2018, I was so happy la! For me, a visit to Singapore won't be complete without a mandatory IG story with my hand holding this Spanish frozen yogurt. It's a refreshing dessert to enjoy around the clock in the hot and humid Singapore weather. My go-to menu is always the medium froyo (S$ 5.9) with a dollop of cookie dough sauce (Lotus Biscoff caramelized biscuit). Yum.

Who can resist a perfect match of fresh tangy yoghurt and sweet caramelized sauce? Definitely not me.


@llaollao_sg
Closest MRT: Many! Google it.


Tiong Bahru Bakery
When we talk about French viennoiserie in Singapore, we can't leave out Tiong Bahru Bakery (TBB). Baking daily in 6 different locations, TBB has great selections of either savory or sweet croissants and sandwiches. For me, sweets always triumph. When I visited their branch at TANGS Orchard, of course I opted for Original Kouign Amann (S$ 4.5) and Canelé (S$ 3.2).

If we search for kouign amann on the internet, it is described as the fattiest pastry in all of Europe. Indeed, I felt a layer of fat was added to my belly for every layer of kouign amann I devoured. The deep flavour of TBB's kouign amann really amaze me. Dense yet crispy texture, flaky layers of butter, fully coated with sweet caramelized sugar... Flaky, buttery. sugary. A heavenly combination in every bite and I could say it's worth the sinful calories. Oh well, now you know why I kept on renewing my gym membership!

Anyway, the kouign amann was so good that I forgot how the canelé's taste was hahaha. Will repurchase again next time and let you know!


@tiongbahrubakery
Closest MRT: Orchard


Keong Saik Bakery
Located in the trending Keong Saik neighbourhood, Keong Saik bakery's shop size was small but homey. When I went there on Monday morning, it was quite packed with locals enjoying bread/pastry with a cup of coffee or ordering the breakfast set menu. I could say that this lovely coffee shop is being cherished by the local residents.

 

I had their famous Burnt Cheese Cruffin (S$ 5.5), Attap Chee Rose Cheesecake (S$ 7/slice) and Sor Hei (S$ 4; not pictured). The glorified burnt cheese cruffin is basically muffin-shaped-croissant with burnt cheesecake fillings. I love the smooth, creamy texture of the interiors. Yet because I ate it later in the day, I think the croissant exteriors was not as crunchy as it supposed to be. Next time, would remind myself to have it dine in or reheat it a bit.


The attap chee rose cheesecake did capture my heart! The cheesecake was light and moist and there was a hint of fragrant rose. Inside the cheesecake mixture, it got chewy attap chee chunks. With so much happening in one spoon of cake, it will delight your tastebud from the very first spoon til the end.

Anyway, for my Indonesian fellas, just in case you're wondering, attap chee is "kolang kaling" in our Bahasa😉


@keongsaikbakery
Closest MRT: Outram Park - Exit H


Creamery Boutique
If you know me, you will know that my spirit animal is a cookie monster. I love cookies A LOT. So on one random day, when I stumbled upon an instagram video of cookie with oozing chocolate lava sold at a dessert shop in Singapore, I instantly knew I need to go for it. Boy, I'm glad I did! 

Creamery Boutique offers lava cookie set menu (1 cookie + 1 ice cream, S$ 7.9 to S$ 9.9) but you can always pick and choose the cookie base and the ice cream flavor. The staff would serve the cookie hot on a skillet (they bake it right before they serve it🤩) and tell us to prepare your camera before they drop the ice cream; because they know we'll want to capture the oozing moment (what a thoughtful staff, I love them). When the scoop of ice cream hits the fragile top of softbaked cookie... voila! A satisfying lava flow upon your eyes! (Catch the video in my instagram)


I had the seasonal Christmas menu Whisky Chocolate Lava Cookie (filled with dark chocolate lava and punctuated with splash of Johnnie Walker whisky) and paired it with white chocolate-strawberry-white rum ice cream. Every spoon is a perfect union of sweet and bitter, hot and cold, crunchy and fudgy. Ugh typing this makes me drooling.

Warm crunchy edges, fudgy center, runny chocolate lava, married with cold ice cream. What can you ask better? This Creamery Boutique lava cookie is the winner!!! 

@creamery_sg
Closest MRT: Bendemeer/Lavender


So those are my current treasured sweet spots in Singapore! Really can't wait for this pandemic situation to over, so I can book a flight ticket to get my hands on those babies! What about you? What's the first thing to do after you can go outside your home? 😉

Until then, please stay clean, stay safe, and stay home!

Happy girl with her new love

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments